Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Award Part 2

THANKS to Ms. Califri for editing/revising BOTH of my Essays!! It means so much!!

Each year thousands of animals across the United States are put to sleep, for no fault of their own. These animals are not at fault nor do they deserve such treatment.  Every year I personally save approximately one hundred of these animals from being killed.  I began my volunteering efforts in 2004 by collecting donations for St. Hubert’s of Madison New Jersey.  I learned about the cause of pet overpopulation at St. Hubert’s.  When my family decided to get a dog, I persuaded them into adopting one rather than buying a dog from a breeder or supporting a puppy mill. In 2007 I wanted to do more than just collect donations for the shelter, I wanted to foster. I had searched on Petfinder.com and found Purrs N Pups Animal Rescue. They were looking for volunteer fosters and it seemed like a perfect match for me. I applied and my I received my first fosters on July 1 2007. When we brought our foster dogs up to the adoption event, I found out that I could come to every adoption event even if I didn’t have fosters. I began to go to adoptions every week, and I also became more involved. Each week I would make cage tags for each of the animals that would be at the next adoption event.  In September of 2007, I was invited to go to a High-Kill Animal Shelter with a Director of Purrs N Pups. The director wanted to me to understand the impact “I” was making. That day she had taught me that each animal I speak up for, “I” rescue.  From that day forward I knew I would do animal rescue for the rest of my life. I was taught by the same Director, who is also a vet tech, how to administer vaccines, microchips, and different medication. I have also learned how to deliver and feed newborn kittens, and puppies and witnessed a dog having c-section.  Currently, I run a blog page and a Facebook page for Purrs N Pups Animal Rescue.  I also write up contracts, file paperwork, recruit volunteers and fosters, foster, help at adoption days, administer vaccines, microchips, help plan events, and raise money for the group.  Volunteering with Purrs N Pups Animal Rescue has helped me make a difference in the world by not only saving the lives of animals, but also placing them in forever homes. By creating the Blog page and Facebook Page I have been able to spread to the public, information about Purrs N Pups Animal Rescue, and the importance of altering and adopting their pets. Volunteering has boosted my confidence and helps me feel comfortable standing up for what I believe in. A person will never regret volunteering; they will however regret not volunteering. It is important to be confident and stand up for what someone believes in, even if others around you may not believe the same things. The best part about almost anything is the challenge it take to get there, one of the most challenging parts of animal rescue is the daily ignorance of people when they do not understand why it is important to adopt rather than just to pick the cute puppy in the pet store’s window. Almost 100% of the time the animals in pet stores are from animal mills or back yard breeders, and when people buy an animal from them it promotes the breeder to produce more and keep the inhumane conditions.  Another challenge is that, many people do not know that everyday adoptable animals are being killed for no reason but that they ended up in an overcrowded shelter, and when I try to explain they do not want to believe it, and I feel defeated at times, but it just makes me try harder. The best part of animal rescue is when the animals “I” rescue find their forever home. Although I may shed tears, they are always tears of joy. I never forget the joy and unconditional love in the new pet owner’s eyes!  That joy helps me move on to my next foster, and rebuild its heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment